Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ann

Ann, 16"x20", Charcoal on Paper

A step further from the last drawing for the better. Sometimes when drawing I just look for shapes in the face compared to looking for vertical/horizontal alignment i.e.; dropping a plum line from the iris of the left eye (in drawing) and seeing the tip of the nose in that line. Actually the idea is if one was to bake a cake is to have all the ingredients at the same time.

The bake a cake analogy comes from my former teacher Nancy Ross who passed away a few years ago. I loved her and she was amazing. She would always use that bake a cake thing. The idea is you need all the ingredients at the same time having eggs and no flour will not work.  So you in a drawing you need light and dark lines, thick and thin, how to make the drawing look at shapes, look at alignment, all the ingredients at once. I don't belong in a kitchen, but I do know what she was talking about regarding the cake, thanks Nancy.